Inducted as a Contributor in 2006
An outstanding contributor to the game, she was the Australian head of delegation for the first ever visit by a western team to China in 1963. Watson was also the Australian women’s team manager in 1963, 1974 and 1975.
She was the face of Australian women’s basketball during its early years and filled the role as president of Victorian women’s basketball and Australian women’s basketball.
She is a life member of Basketball Victoria and the WNBL Rookie of the Year award is named in her honour.
- Betty has a great passion for the game and ensured that women received equal opportunity and recognition in the formative years
- Was the face of women's basketball in Australia during its formative years
- Victorian women’s basketball founding President
- Australian women’s basketball President
- With husband Ken, she was instrumental in the establishment of the first men’s junior championships held in Tasmania in 1954
- Australian Head of Delegation for the first ever visit by a Western team to China in 1963
- Australian Team Manager – 1963, 1974 and 1975
- Lobbied strongly in 1976 to have the Australian women’s team compete in the Pre Olympics qualification for the Montreal Olympics and saw the Australian women travel to Varna in Bulgaria in 1980
- Life Member of Basketball Victoria – 1978
- WNBL Rookie of the Year award name in her honour – 1995
- Inducted into the Basketball Australia Hall of Fame in 2006