Inducted as a Contributor in 2006
John Holden founded the Referee’s Association at Frankston in 1960 and has been a referees coach since 1965.
He has officiated more than 50 international games; including four Olympic Games, six Oceania qualification tournaments, the 1978 World Championships, and 89 NBL matches.
Holden is an honorary life Member of FIBA as well as a life member of five separate basketball associations throughout Victoria.
- Has been a referees coach since 1965 – increased in intensity after retirement as an active referee
- Officiated at six Oceania Qualification tournaments
- Victorian Country Grading Officer – Responsible for developing
- Regional referees
- Advisor of Southern Peninsula Basketball Association
- Life Member of Frankston Referees Association
- Life Member of Frankston Basketball Association
- Life Member of Victorian Police Basketball Association
- Life Member of Victorian Basketball Referees Association
- Life Member of Southern Peninsula Basketball Association
- Honorary Life Referee of FIBA
- Commenced Referees Association at Frankston – 1960
- Officiated at four Olympic Games - 1970, 1974, 1978, 1982
- Referee advisor for South Queensland region - 1970-1983
- Officiated more than 50 international games - 1970-1984
- Officiated at the Men’s World Championships in the Philippines – 1978
- Officiated 89 NBL matches - 1979-1984
- Inducted into the Basketball Australia Hall of Fame in 2006